Trump intervenes to grant rejected Afghan girls entry to U.S. for robotics contest

    By: Clair Fuller on Jul 16, 2017

    Nahal Toosi writes, "At the urging of President Donald Trump, U.S. officials have reversed course and decided to allow into the United States a group of Afghan girls hoping to participate in an international robotics competition next week, senior administration officials told POLITICO on Wednesday.

    The decision followed a furious public backlash to the news that the six teens had been denied U.S. visas. That criticism swelled as details emerged about the girls’ struggle to build their robot and get visas.

    'The State Department worked incredibly well with the Department of Homeland Security to ensure that this case was reviewed and handled appropriately,” Dina Powell, Trump's deputy national security adviser for strategy, said in a statement. “We could not be prouder of this delegation of young women who are also scientists — they represent the best of the Afghan people and embody the promise that their aspirations can be fulfilled. They are future leaders of Afghanistan and strong ambassadors for their country.'

    Critics had argued that the visa denials sent the wrong message to the people of Afghanistan, where U.S. troops are still fighting Taliban militants who once barred girls from attending school. The denials bolstered allegations that Trump is, via executive orders and other means, trying to impose a ban on Muslims entering the United States. The visa rejections also undercut the administration’s insistence that it cares about empowering women globally."

    READ MORE>>

    Released: July 16, 2017, 11:10 am
    Keywords: NAWL News


    National Association of Women Lawyers®

    American Bar Center MS 19.1, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654 T: 312.988.6186 F: 312.932.6450 nawl@nawl.org